What is Medicare audit?
Medicare audit is an action taken by Medicare to find some wrongdoing on the part of the practitioner. This wrongdoing must be about the billing of Medicare items or the number of patients seen. The result of the finding of any wrongdoing may differ. It can be:
- Removal of the practitioner from the vocational register for a period of time of forever
- Fines and recovery of money for inappropriately billed items.
- Ban on billing Medicare in private practice
- No action with 6 months review.
- No action because no areas of concern were identified.