Random Medicare audit.
- Usually, there is an invitation for a telephone interview. The invitation states the topic of conversation, e.g. item 23.
- During the interview, the Medicare officer asks questions about GP’s billing practices.
- The questions are very similar to the item descriptor from Medicare Schedule.
- For as long as you give the right answers, you are OK.
Practice points. Prepare for the interview:
- Read the item descriptor, print it out and keep it in front of you during the interview.
- Discuss the upcoming interview with a consultant, manager or colleague.
- Do not be afraid to politely ask the Medicare officer to repeat the question if not sure.