PATIENT ASKED FOR HIS / HER FILE
What to tell a patient if asked for the file?
- Tell the patient that it is his / her right to have access to the file.
- There is a procedure to follow.
- A patient can make a written OR verbal request to have access to the file.
- The file can be accessed in anyway patient would like. Usually, printed out.
- Before patient access, the file, usual GP of the patient must authorise the access.
- If the usual GP is away, any GP can authorise the access.
- Can GP refuse to release the file to the patient? YES. If the release would reasonably hurt the clinical process, GP may refuse to release the file.
- What not to be released? The third party correspondence must never be released if the third party is not a health professional taking part in patient’s care. e.g. a neighbour, relative etc.