You have received the letter of audit. What to do?
- Do not panic. Most audits result in no action other than caution.
- Do not pick up the phone and call Medicare demanding answers to the question: “Why me? Withdraw your audit, please, I am innocent”.
- Do not write any replies to Medicare today, or tomorrow, or the day after tomorrow.
- Do not take it personally. Medicare computer does not know that you are a conscientious, hard-working doctor.
- Talk to your peers, friends, practice manager.
- You may contact your indemnity insurance provider.